An Introduction

The 1930's ..... long before my time but it was the decade in which my maternal grandparents were married and set up home in a traditional 1930's semi-detached house. A house in which I spent the majority of my childhood and which was the hub of our family life. It was a safe-haven where my Granny and Papa would indulge us, a place where family members came and went ... and the kettle was always on!

The house was sold when my Grandmother died in 1995 but I often visualise myself walking through the house and remembering every little detail from the front porch, to the art deco inspired bathroom, to the shell shaped wall lights and fly-catcher lampshades and the understair cupboard where we used to hide and where my Papa kept our bowls of hyacinths in the dark for the annual school competition!

I drove past the house recently and it has changed beyond all recognition. I fully understand the new owners wanting to update the house but part of me wanted it to be preserved as it was and as how I remember it.

My name is Allison and this is the story of my endeavour to recreate a piece of family history and a nostalgic return to the home known as 'Annfield.'

Translate my Blog

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Inspiration

Real life is getting in the way of building Annfield and I haven't yet drawn out my sketch for you but in the meantime I have bought this fabulous little book....





It's only a little A5 sized book with 40 pages in it but those pages are a mine of information about housing in the 1930s. For anyone embarking on a similar project I would certainly recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Allison, nice new blog and project :-) I have bought and used this book for my thirties house (Fairbanks from DHE) too. I would like to see a lot of pictures on your progress with this house, my inspiration has gone for now :-(
    Warm regards, Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a really interesting and helpful book, Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too am currently doing a 1930's home but mine will be a little over the top as a starlet will live there! I can't wait to see what you do. I love all things nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete